Sonja´s bicycle

Sonjas hoj

On the island where we spend parts of our summers, there are a lot of really old bicycles. They are still in use and cared for, since no motor vehicles are allowed. They say some of the bikes have been there since the sawmill era, which lasted from about 1900-1952. Respect.

19 x 19 cm, Duke calligraphy nib fountain pen with Platinum Carbon ink and watercolours on Langton watercolour paper.

17 Responses to “Sonja´s bicycle”

1. Inma Serrano says:

Beutiful this one , Nina

2. Chris F says:

Love this Nina

3. Fantastic drawings. These recent summer drawings really have great color and seem to convey a great bright and uplifted mood!

4. isa says:

Superbes ces vieux vélos qui ont une “âme”, ça ramène à une belle époque. Bravo pour ce dessin, je n’ai jamais su faire les bicyclettes …

5. AnAis says:

Superb Nina, as usual :)

6. I’m sure I’m the only one who doesn’t know the answer to this but how do you do the background, Nina? I assume you’re doing it before you draw but otherwise I’m lost. If I wet the paper first I get very diffuse color blotches which is fine but I can’t get the blobs that look like large drops have fallen from the brush. What’s the secret that everyone knows but me (grin)?

Cheers — Larry

• I did the background after the drawing here, check it out:
      And you just answered your own question, Larry – to get the blobs, you let large blobs of paint fall from the brush! :)
      You fill the brush with very wet paint, hold it quite a bit above the paper surface, and squeeze it a little. Lots of paint in the brush = big blob, a little paint in the brush = smaller blob. Also, the further away from the paper you hold the brush, the bigger the splash when the drop falls.
      So, in other words, these kind of backgrounds are better made outdoors than indoors. ;)
      Oh, and – BIG brush.

• OH…you physically squeeze the paint out of the brush. I tried filling a mop and then shook it vertically but couldn’t get a large drop to come from it. Thanks…I’m off to squeeze some brushes :-)

Cheers — Larry

7. Benjamin J. says:

I absolutely love this. The colors, the composition. Great work as usual nina!
    Benjamin,

8. Joan says:

It’s wonderful to see these bicycles are treated well and are still in service…they don’t make things to last like they did pre-1960, in the US we have become the throw-away society, if something, especially electronics, is 3 years or less, it’s time to toss it.

Your painting is superb, as usual.

9. Thanks a lot, Benjamin!

Thanks Joan; I agree. We do consume an awful lot of THINGS these days, and it´s nice that these bikes are still going strong. Some (like the one in my drawing) are fixed up with new(ish) parts that don´t really fit, but they work just fine. Being on an island, you kind of take what you have, to avoid the hazzle of having to travel to get the right parts… :)

10. joyce says:

Love this. One of my favorite subjects.

No computers were harmed in the 0.154 seconds it took to produce this page.